Anarchic Civilization

It's gaining ground.

Monday, September 25, 2006

To answer your question, Flavian, I was hoping to find an example of the courts being rebuffed by traditional elders and other influential non-warlords, because I remember something similar being mentioned at somaliaonline.com. I might have been thinking of South Galkayo (which, unlike North Galkayo, is supposedly outside the territory of Puntland, though it is obviously within its sphere of influence). If so, I was only partially right.

From PINR

As the I.C.C. began its advance on Galkayo and local leaders in the south of the town appeared ready to welcome the Courts, the Puntland administration placed its security forces on high alert on August 4 and moved them into the north of the town, vowing to resist any penetration of Puntland by the I.C.C.

On August 6, there were reports that Abdi Qeybdid, a warlord who had been expelled from Mogadishu in July, had lent the support of his militia to the Puntland forces. The I.C.C. responded that it would "not endure" Qeybdid's presence and blamed Puntland for creating a crisis. With 1,000 Courts fighters reported to be massing in the central region, the I.C.C. announced that it would enter the Galkayo area and establish a Shari'a court there.

On August 9, the first serious opposition to the I.C.C.'s advance surfaced in the form of a violent protest demonstration against the I.C.C. in south Galkayo. The protestors, numbering in the hundreds, destroyed posters welcoming the I.C.C. and called on the population to resist the Courts. The demonstration included leaders from Puntland and Ahlu Sunna wal Jama'a, a traditional Muslim group.

By August 10, the I.C.C. forces were in the Galkayo area, setting up roadblocks and vowing to take control of the town. Puntland's president, Adde Muse Hersi, insisted that his forces would "repel" the I.C.C.

On August 11, both sides were preparing for confrontation, as Puntland forces were reported to have infiltrated into south Galkayo and the I.C.C. dispatched a reconnaissance mission to the town. The local administration in south Galkayo, which had been preparing to receive the I.C.C., asked it to remain outside the town temporarily. The stand-off became more tense on August 13, as the I.C.C. deployed its forces closer to Puntland's border.

With armed confrontation looming and Ethiopia posing the greatest threat to the I.C.C., the Courts backed down and met with a delegation from Puntland led by Muse on August 16. Both sides agreed that they would stay in their present positions and would cooperate in joint security operations.

***

Here's something I found along the way: some old news from PINR:

"Clan elders and political leaders in Sool, which is divided between Puntland and Somaliland, indicated that they would create an administration independent of the Puntland authorities."

1 Comments:

Blogger Flavian said...

We will see what happens. But if you allow me I would like to write an english text with a critique of anarchism. You can correct the language and publish it along with your critique of the critique.

My email is: amvrosij@home.se

I will spend the coming month in Romania.

10:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
 
Web anarchic-civ.blogspot.com